Life changes and long term stress is often cited as common triggers for depression. Some people are genetically more prone to depression triggers than others.
Here is a listing of many common depression triggers:
- Grieving the death of a loved one
- Major life change such as a divorce, children leaving, retirement, losing a job.
- Long-term stress
- Having or recovering from a major injury or illness
- Recently having a baby (post-partum depression)
- Drinking alcohol
- Using illegal drugs
- Certain medications
- Certain medical or health conditions